Choose the best answer to complete each sentence. Change the form where necessary.
1. He needed back surgery to ________ the pain caused from decades of training.
A. relief B. receive C. relieve D. repeat
2. The picture ________ me ________ the good school days those years.
A. reminded…of B. think…of C. remind…of D. thought …of
3. She ________ if she would learn anything special from Rose.
A. believed B. said C. addressed D. doubted
4. Ross was a girl who ________ life to the full.
A. earned B. enjoyed C. supported D. lived
A. nervously B. nervous C. nerve D. nerved
6.Statistics ________ that depressed patients are more likely to become ill than are normal people.
A. indicated B. confess C. indicate D. confessed
7. Don’t ________ the things closest to your heart.
A. take aside B. take apart C. take for granted D. take over
8. We always ________ you ________ our friends.
A. regard…as B. regard…to C. remind…as D. thought …for
9. Now I become more ________ and relaxed than ever before.
A. confidence B. confidential C. confidently D. confident
10. She always ________ me when things aren’t going well.
A. encourage B. encourages C. courage D. discourage
11. Don’t forget ________ lights off when you leave the room.
A. to turn B. turning C. turned D. turns
12. I regret ________ to leave tomorrow morning, but I have no choice.
A. had B. having C. to have D. has
13. Having been working two hours, they stopped ________ a cigarette.
A. smoking B. to smoke C. smoke D. smokes
14. Please remember ________ to the post office after school.
A. go B. going C. goes D. to go
15. That hospital has ceased ________ forever.
A. existing B. exist C. exists D. to exist
16. You should try ________more careful cleaning the dishes.
A. to do B. to be C. was D. did
17. Maggie finished her homework and we started ________ dinner together.
A. prepares B. prepare C. to prepare D. prepared
18. I’m terribly sorry, but I didn’t mean ________ you.
A. hurt B. hurting C. hurts D. to hurt
19. She was afraid ________ further in grass because she was afraid of being bitten by a snake.
A. to step B. stepping C. stepped D. steps
20. He will go on ________ a clear and understandable interpretation of the new technology tomorrow morning.
A. make B. makes C. to make D. making
21. This condition is more ________ in women than in men.
A. prevalent B. friendly C. kind D. enjoyable
22. Villagers say the fence would restrict public ________ to the hills.
A. road B. access C. door D. right
23. Self-discipline, willingness, enthusiasm, that’s what you must________.
A. deal with B. do with C. depend on D. communicate with
24. Talent, hard work and perseverance are all ________to career success.
A. bad B. negative C. harmful D. crucial
25. Many people support his plan, in other words, there is _________ support for the new proposals.
A. crucial B. terrible C. effective D. widespread