76. He insisted that he ________ the bill with his credit card.
A. pay B. to pay C. would pay D. shall pay
77. ________ all these problems, we would be more successful.
A. Should we solve B. Would we solve C. Might we solve D. Could we solve
78. He tried his best in everything, ________ he wouldn’t have passed the final examination.
A. otherwise B. but C. and D. but that
79. I would rather my teacher ________ me everything at once.
A. tell B. will tell C. told D. should tell
80. How I wish I ________ to help you repair your phone! I only made it worse.
A. had tried B. hadn’t tried C. have tried D. didn’t try
81. Professor Johnson ________ many errors in my paper and carefully marked them with a red pen.
A. picked B. pointed C. dotted D. spotted
82. The girl struggled to ________ where she was at the time the murder took place.
A. reflect B. respond C. recall D. resolve
83. He was badly injured; only the very finest treatment could have ________ him through.
A. stood B. brought C. rescued D. supported
84. The hotel could not ________ a party of thirty because almost all its rooms were booked.
A. consist B. include C. reserve D. accommodate
85. The restaurant has a very ________ atmosphere and is the perfect setting for a romantic dinner.
A. intimate B. enormous C. popular D. welcome
86. His wish to become a lawyer was ________ a desire to help poor people.
A. born with B. born of C. born from D. born in
87. Robert began law practice in 1939, which was ________ by the Second World War.
A. interrupted B. dismissed C. overtaken D. abridged
88. It was essential that the application forms ________ back before thedeadline.
A. must be sent B. would be sent C. be sent D. were sent
89. Children who are over-protected by their parents may become ________.
A. hurt B. damaged C. spoiled D. harmed
90. Why don’t you take physics next semester? It’s not ________ to understand as you might think.
A. that hard B. such hard C. too hard D. so hard
91. ________ is known to us all is that the 2012 Olympic Games will be held in London.
A. It B. What C. As D. Which
92. The discovery of these tombs is ________ for scholars’ studying Chinese history.
A. of very important B. great significant C. of great significance D. greatly importance
93. Sean’s strong love for his country is ________ in his recently published poems.
A. relieved B. Reflected C. responded D. recovered
94. Would you please keep silent? The weather report ________ and I want to listen.
A. is broadcast B. is being broadcast C. has been broadcast D. had been broadcast
95. The teacher stressed again that the students should not ________ any important details while retelling the story.
A. bring out B. let out C. leave out D. make out
96. It was hard for him to learn English in a family, in which ________ of the parents spoke the language.
A. none B. neither C. both D. each
97. You’d better go there by train. The train ticket is ________ the plane ticket.
A. as cheap three times as B. as three times cheap as
C. three times as cheap as D. cheaper three times than
98. This new machine is technically far ________ to the previous type.
A. superior B. junior C. senior D. equal
99. There is a great deal of evidence ________ that music activities engage different parts of the brain.
A. indicate B. indicating C. indicated D. to be indicating
100. She became the first woman to enter the school but withdrew after a few days ________ stress.
A. because of B. in spite of C. instead of D. in honor of赞赏